Sunday, January 3, 2010

Ringin' in the New Year's....redneck style

Seriously, I heard a great sermon tonight from Eccelesiates 11. Our preacher has done a series on Soloman from Eccelesiates entitled "Taking a Real Look at Life". Tonight's installment was "Don't Miss Out, and Don't Mess It Up!" Basically it was all about enjoying life and enjoying where you are planted.

Okay, so this is very hard for me. I want to deny my southern heritage when I see things like this. I want to be more cultured. But in another sense, it is just part of enjoying the life that God planted you in. God choose for me to grow up near Tallapoosa (formerly known as Possum Snout), GA. I can't tell you how many Friday and Saturday nights I spent with Mary Ellen Johnson cruising the main strip from the Tasty Treat to The Turnaround package store. Makes me think of the Tim McGraw song that says "I miss back when" or something like that (country music enthusiast I am definitely not!).

Anyway, Tallapoosa has embraced their identity and what God made them. Only in Tallapoosa would you be ringing in the new year w/ a stuffed dead possum in a make shift lighted cage hanging from a bright orange cord. And, there are toboggins to commemerate the event!

Possum Drop

I've heard rumors of this, but never went. Once I saw the pictures I felt like it was something that I have to add to my bucket list, and immediately began working on a posse to go with me next year. I was so sad when I found out that it is only every other year. So 2011 - Possum Drop or bust! Who's in?

~MM

No comments: