Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Only The Good Die Young.....

I have always loved this circa late 70s Billy Joel song. It has a fun upbeat tempo, and the lyrics are fun. It's cliche, but on this day 2 years ago one of the best died way too young.

None of us could have ever dreamed how September 22nd, 2007 would rock our world. How could a seemingly healthy 31 year old be fine one minute and then gone in the next? Adrian Lanning had waited all of his life to finally get to this place. He was happily married with a 6 month old baby boy. I seriously have never heard of anyone who did not like him. (I wish I could say the same for myself.) He was a wonderful, considerate man who was mature way beyond his years in his demeanor and compassion for others. He was also prankster, and didn't seem to get bent out of shape when the joke was on him. He was a man of even temperament - I don't think in all of the 15-16years I knew him, that I ever once saw him mad. He was someone that you could count on - his word meant everything to him. If he said he would do something, you could take it to the bank. He also put friends and family above everything else. If you had a need, you could be sure he would do everything in his power to meet it. He made all of our lives richer for knowing him.

Civil service was in Adrian's blood. I remember him counting the days down until he was 16. Not so much about be able to drive, but so he could be a junior firefighter at the local volunteer fire dept. He worked in the jail at the Sheriff's Dept, and was so excited with Burrell Langley gave him his big break, and sent him to mandate school for the city of Bowdon. He worked there for several years, and then he transferred back to the county. He joined his 2 brothers in serving and protecting Carroll County.

When God took him home 2 years ago, we all lost a part of ourselves that we will never get back. I'm sure I will go to the grave and never understand how this tragedy fits into the big picture. I can't comprehend why God would not let Adrian be a part of his little boy's life for no more than he was. But I know there is a purpose, and nothing happens by accident.

This one is for you, Adrian "Hotdog" Lanning. You will never, ever know how much you meant to me, and how blessed I am for knowing you! Only the good die young.....

1 comment:

Hollie said...

I remember that....so sad! It's terrible that his child never got to know what a wonderful man he was. I never knew him but have heard so many good things about him. Of course, I'm sure his mom will tell the child what wonderful person his dad was, but still terrible he doesn't have his dad.