Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th, Y'all!

Yes, I am getting in touch w/ my southern roots. It always seems to happen this time of year :) I hope you had a GREAT 4th! We participated in tried and true traditions, and even made a couple of new ones. Warning - lots of photos!

Every July 3rd, North Point Baptist Church host Family Fest. This year, we heavily promoted it as a community event. The count from the fire department before dark was over 2,000. The Nelons held a concert on our new football field. There was tons of food; the kids had a blast in the jumpies & running wild on the soft grass. And Jordan kept Mason occupied:

(I think it is payback for her being such a pest!)

The fireworks were AWESOME! I decided to challenge myself to try to take some photos since we were right under where they were being shot.




Bobby had to work today, so the girls were on their own today. Bright and early this morning, J & I headed to the Carroll TEA Party's Constitution celebration. We manned one of the literature tables, and it was wonderful meeting so many people that feel the way I do about the government stepping into my doctor's office, my wallet, my civil right, and my child's future! (In case you didn't know....I am very political minded!) Anyway, it is a great cause, and I encourage you to attend an event near you. I heard there were around 500 in attendance today.



Then we headed up to Carrollton's parade. This is always alot of fun, and it is always hot! Fortunately, there are always plenty of folks passing out bottled water & pop-ice.




And this always makes me tear up:


Next, off to grab some lunch and a little picnic at the Southwire Lakes. We always go feed the geese, and this year I bet there were a hundred or so when the re-enforcements came charging across the lake. Check out my Geese Whisperer. She was speaking their favorite language - stale Sunbeam bread! :)


Then home for some down time, and a swim this afternoon.


And to cap the day off - a family get together at Bobby's aunts, back home for another swim (and J swam for over an hour at Mickey's), and then sparkler time. (I loved having the fireworks at NP last night; I did not have the normal compulsion to go sit in a parking lot w/ hundreds of people that I do not know to watch fireworks that I cannot see b/c of the trees!)



So needless to say, the Mullenix girls are exhausted, but in a good way. I hope you got your 4th on b/c the weather here was phenomenal. I cannot remember the last time that it was this good. And, even though there are alot of "issues" in this country - overall we are a very blessed nation; & it's all thanks to wonderful men and women who serve and sacrifice, and a loving God who hold us in His hand.

~MM

2 comments:

Hollie said...

Sounds like you gals had a great one also. I'm so glad. Sorry Bobby had to work. Great photos!

Say Something said...

MM, those are some awesome fireworks photos! I wanted to get some myself, but at the Ptree pre and post festivities, I was toast! Looks like you had a full and fun 4th!
JenRuhl