Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Uh yeah....exactly what we need the Mullenix abode!

ETA - found out that this was an Eastern River Cooter Turtle (thanks, Tonya). Yes, that sounds like a made-up redneck, critter name if I ever heard one. I had to google it (sorry, Tonya) and found indeed that there is such a beast, and it was living in my backyard. I also found out that this turtle needs 10s of gallons of water every day, so he/she/it has been set free in the nature reserve at Katie Lane (ie the creek behind our house). Tonya said this handsome guy/gal could easily be 20+ years old. Wonder what that is in turtle years.......

Thanks, Uncle Johnny - we seriously "needed" a honking, huge turtle/tortouise/whatever in our fenced in back yard!




I have a friend who is a self-proclaimed hard-shell amphibian expert, and she is going to try to identify it for us. She said there aren't any GA native animals as large as this, except 1 that is endangered. For the love of God, please do not let DNR show up at my house because this little girl loves this mean, grouchy walking mobile home!


4 comments:

Janell said...

LOL! I'm calling right now to report you!

Hollie said...

OMGoodness! That thing is HUGE! Keep us posted on this one!

Hollie said...

Oh I forgot.....I added you to my blog list :0)

Reagan J said...

Looks just like our turtle but a little bigger. Ours is a yellow belly slider (also in the family of red eared slider). We have a 30 gallon tank for him. His name is Fred! :)

Reagan